Monday 24 August 2015

1940's Tea Dress...Like a phoenix from the flame

I excitedly bought the pattern and fabric (rayon mix) from Sew Over It in Islington for the 1940's Tea Dress. I couldn't wait to start sewing and in my enthusiasm I once again didn't wash the fabric (I clearly didn't learn my lesson!). I absolutely loved this dress, it fitted beautifully and reminded me of the vintage Biba dresses my mum used to wear. The only alteration I made was to take it in at the bodice by a couple of centimetres. After washing it, I winced when I saw the curving zip, immediately alerting me to the fact it had shrunk. Because of my love for the dress I spent a weekend letting out all of the seams, adding a bias binding hem (in the hopes of adding a centimetre or two) however I couldn't rescue her. She had become an ill fitting, wobbly hem shadow of her former self.
I decided to replace her with a spotted version. I bought the fabric from Walthamstow market, I think it's a rayon mix again but I couldn't be sure. This time, I washed the fabric first! I made the same alteration to the bodice but other than that the fit was once again perfect. I added three red heart buttons to the front, which I bought from The Makery. Whilst I love this new spotty version...I can't help but think wistfully to the original. Perhaps my next project needs to be a remake? Have you ever remade a whole item of clothing?

No comments:

Post a Comment