Sunday, 27 September 2015
Last weekend tragedy struck...my poor singer sewing machine broke! I was felling very proud of myself as I was sewing a UFO which I wasn't particularly enjoying making when my tread take up snapped. It appears that a very long screw has been coming loose for a long time and had finally come out far enough to obstruct the thread take up. After staying calm and hoping that perhaps a spare part existed...I have had to accept that I need a new one!
Sunday, 20 September 2015
I was a very lucky lady a few weeks ago and was treated to an overlocker for my birthday! Not wanting to waste any time I quickly delved into my jersey stash and bought the Sew Over It Ultimate Wrap Dress PDF. I prefer PDF patterns, they seem to take me less time than tracing paper patters.
Thursday, 17 September 2015
I came across a beautiful piece of Liberty Tana Lawn Pauly Parrot whilst trawling on ebay. It was a steal at £10 a metre. I thought that it would be the perfect match for the Deer and Doe Datura. The Datura is a loose fitting blouse with a buttoned lower back. There are two options, either a triangular cut out neckline or a Peter Pan collar. I choose the Peter Pan collar!
Saturday, 12 September 2015
What can I say, if a piece of fabric has a cat design, I rarely leave without it! I bought this fabric from Walthamstow for £5 a metre. I had a lot of reservations about it as it's scuba, which I haven't sewn with before so it's been in the stash for a while. I decided to make Tilly and the Buttons Francoise dress as this pattern needs fabric which can hold its shape, which scuba is perfect for. This is a lovely pattern which has French darts and raglan sleeves, which creates a really pretty neckline. There are also lots of options including sleeves, a collar and a front placket. I had some concerns before sewing, thinking that the dress could possibly turn a little 90s teenage angst. But I am absolutely in love with it (even though it is a tad 90s teenage angst)!
Saturday, 5 September 2015
I think that it's safe to say that this isn't a pattern which would catch your eye from the pictures alone. However, the end product is one which I frequently choose from my wardrobe.
Tuesday, 1 September 2015
I have decided that this is my last summer sew and that it's time to move the cotton lawn to the bottom of the stash pile and the wool to the top. I can't really count these trousers as a success but I also like them too much to count them as a failure. So I'm going to sit on the fence and call them a wearable toile. I love light comfortable trousers in the summer and that it exactly what they are. The pattern is very versatile and can be a pair of shorts, two skirts and three pairs of trousers so there are plenty of options to take your fancy! I decided to make trouser A but with a tie as I like tucking tops into high-waisted trousers and skirts and thought that this could be an interesting detail. The fabric, which I bought at Walthamstow market, was an absolute steal at £3 a metre. It was the end of the bolt, but I managed to squeeze the trousers on, with just the inside of the front waistband panel being made in a plain dark pink cotton.