Saturday 5 September 2015

A Simple Simplicity 1252

I think that it's safe to say that this isn't a pattern which would catch your eye from the pictures alone. However, the end product is one which I frequently choose from my wardrobe.
During a visit to Walthamstow I purchased one metre of a rather beautiful ditsy floral needlecord for £4 a metre. It was some what sadly buried at the bottom of a pile cottons and I almost passed it by. Having recently invested in some Liberty needlecord I have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if this was indeed a Liberty fabric. By the time I was on the train I had decided that I wanted it to be a pinafore dress, which led me straight to Simplicity 1252!
This is an incredibly simple pattern to make. The dress is made from only two pattern pieces. It has three darts, two at the bust and one at the front down the middle of the dress. Because of this middle dart the dress is more suited to a either a plain fabric, or one with a small print. The only alteration I made to the dress was to shorten the length which I used an RTW dress for. I made the dress in a size 8 and comfortably cut it out of one metre (there is even some left for a collar perhaps). There is an option to add a belt to the back of the dress. I decided not to do this as I loved the simplicity of the dress by itself.
This dress was not only a delight to sew but is also is a dream to wear, it's incredibly comfortable and doesn't feel restrictive at all. In fact I wore it on one of my first days at my new job! Have you found any pattern gems which might not appeal at first?

No comments:

Post a Comment