Tuesday 1 September 2015

The Last Summer Sew...Simplicity 1887

I have decided that this is my last summer sew and that it's time to move the cotton lawn to the bottom of the stash pile and the wool to the top. I can't really count these trousers as a success but I also like them too much to count them as a failure. So I'm going to sit on the fence and call them a wearable toile. I love light comfortable trousers in the summer and that it exactly what they are. The pattern is very versatile and can be a pair of shorts, two skirts and three pairs of trousers so there are plenty of options to take your fancy! I decided to make trouser A but with a tie as I like tucking tops into high-waisted trousers and skirts and thought that this could be an interesting detail. The fabric, which I bought at Walthamstow market, was an absolute steal at £3 a metre. It was the end of the bolt, but I managed to squeeze the trousers on, with just the inside of the front waistband panel being made in a plain dark pink cotton.
Understandably for trousers I made a lot of alterations. Before cutting, I lengthened the trousers. After making I also drastically took them in from the pockets down to the heels as they were quite large on the leg, about an inch each side at the widest point, which also allowed for me to taper them a bit more at the ankles. As you can see from the pictures they aren't quite sitting high enough on my waist. I have only used a tiny seam to join the waistband to the trousers in order to get as much length possible but it still isn't quite enough. When I make my next pair, I will definitely add an inch and a half onto the top of the trousers so they sit correctly.
I love the pockets on these trousers, which were easy to insert and had very clear instructions. I am also pleased with the decision to keep the tie, although I would lengthen this next time so that it could also be tied into a pretty bow!
Whilst, I do like this pattern, and definitely will be making them next summer...I still don't think that I have found the elusive perfect trouser pattern. Do you have any patterns you suggest?

No comments:

Post a Comment