Saturday 27 February 2016

A pretty in pink pencil skirt

Despite not having blogged about it, I have made this pencil skirt three times now and wear them regularly to work. They're a bit of a staple in my wardrobe. I traced the pattern from The Great British Sewing Bee: Sew Your Own Wardrobe. The instructions are clear but not extensive. I definitely did a little bit of google searching the first time I made it!
I made the skirt in a wool from Walthamstow Market. I'm not sure what kind of wool it is but it has an almost felted quality and feels gorgeous to the touch.
The fabric was very thick, which I didn't really account for. Luckily, the previous skirts were slightly too large so it does fit. If I hadn't had this ease though it definitely would not have fit! Because the fabric was so thick I used a scrap of Liberty lawn for the facings (it's actually a scrap left over from the top I'm wearing!)
The thick fabric supports the vent nicely at the back of the skirt but my darts could be better! I need to either invest or get sewing a tailors ham so that I can press out my darts neater. Has anyone made one before?
I decided to make a bow for the front of the skirt which runs from one dart to the other. I absolutely love the bow! Although it means that I will have to tuck tops into the skirt I think that it's worth it. This pencil skirt will definitely become another wardrobe staple like the others!

I've been dreaming of sewing all week so I'm happily off to sew a Liberty Print Emery dress. What are your sewing plans for the weekend?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I just ended up buying one on Amazon, they're about 10 quid on Amazon UK, and they'll help with the end of the darts.

    I think the skirt looks nice! I find that pencil skirts are hard to fit right, the ends of the darts always gave me trouble. Maria von Koenig from frabjous couture had this huge skirt draft along a few years back and a lot of what she said made sense. I think this post is the one explaining the dart intake issue, it's good reading: http://www.coutureschmiede.com/2014/03/ssda-6-why-common-patternmaking-methods.html?m=1

    Sadly actually finding all the posts she wrote for this is hard, but just searching Google for "coutureschmeide ssda #post" works for me if you want to read they other ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link, it was a good read. Also, thank you for the amazon tip, a ham is winging its way to me as we speak! x

    ReplyDelete