Saturday 11 June 2016

Another Deer and Doe datura...

There are very few patterns I make more than once. So far the only patterns I have bestowed this approval onto is the camber and the datura! I have made two daturas a liberty one and a white boarder version.

This time I decided to make the cut out version which meant I had to make my own bias binding (fiddly, but totally worth it!).

I made it using a metre of Liberty fabric which I bought about a year ago. I always thought it would be a datura it just took me a while to get round to making it! I absolutely love this print...how could you not love a fabric covered in dodos!
I constructed it following the instructions and I didn't make any alterations to the pattern. The only tricky part was the bias binding. The pattern said to pull it tightly across the cut out triangles. I wasn't sure how tight I could pull it without distorting the cut out design so I didn't pull it too much. I definitely could have pulled it a bit tighter though.
I finished the top using clear plastic flower buttons which I really like the effect of.
Are there any patterns which you make over and over again?

Happy stitching x

4 comments:

  1. Lovely top, I have been looking at patterns on the D&D website and had put it in my maybe pile but think I will just go for it. The Liberty is beautiful too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely make it, it's one of my favourite top patterns and is finished beautifully inside.

      Delete
  2. I love your top! I think the binding and the triangle cutouts add such flair, and it looks great, I don't see where you could have pulled the binding tighter! I know I'm strange, but I love making my own bias tape, even though, as you say, it is a bit fiddly. It's so much better to work with than the stiff store-bought version.
    Hmmm, as to making a pattern more than once, well, since I started sewing again last year after a several year break, I've made several patterns and planned to make a second version of several of them, but somehow I just haven't gotten around to any yet - there's just so many pretty patterns to try out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it is so much better to use once it's been made. Definitely worth the hard work.

      Delete