Sunday 31 July 2016

No moaning about Moana...

I feel in love with Papercut Patterns Moana dress as soon as it was released. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to get around to making it...but I'm very pleased that I finally did!

The pattern can be a top or dress and I must admit that I loved the top instantly but it took me a while to warm to it as a dress. It sat on my dress form as a dress for few weeks before I finally asked Instagram followers what they thought. Upon their advice I decided to keep it as a dress and see how it went. Since finishing it, it's had more than a few outings and I am so pleased I kept it as a dress!

I made the dress from a drapey rayon I bought on a trip to Walthamstow. It took just under 2m of fabric as a dress but I wasn't being especially economical with the cutting out so it could be possible to squeeze it out of less.

I made the dress in xxs sizing out to xs at the waist. The top was rather baggy at the bust to I took this in either side by about 2cm.

I love the peplum detail with the dropped waist. I was fearful of hemming the peplum and decided to use my rolled hem foot for the first time. After a few practises (and more than a few YouTube clips) I jumped in. The full circle made it more tricky but considering it was my first time using it I'm rather pleased with how it turned out.
Moana has an exposed zip detail at the back. The instructions recommend a metal one but I used a plastic one instead (I couldn't find a nice coloured metal one). Because of this I didn't feel the need to interface the facings which I'm pleased about as it keeps the dress relaxed and floaty. I always find exposed zips tricky and ended up having to do a little bit of hand sewing a the end.
Definitely pleased with this dress. I'm already dreaming of Liberty silk version...

Happy stitching x

1 comment:

  1. This a lovely dress, I love the peplum and need to learn how to do a rolled hem (I have the foot) I think I Liberty silk one would be amazing

    ReplyDelete