Saturday 2 July 2016

Tilly and the Buttons Picnic Skirt

I haven't been sewing very much recently. I felt like I had lost my sew-jo. When this happens, I generally need a super quick, easy project to fire me up again. I decided to make the Tilly and the Buttons picnic skirt in a Makower siamese cat print and thankfully it's done the trick!
Tilly's instructions for drafting are perfectly straight forward (as always!). Because I had made the gathered skirt in Love at First Stitch I decided to adjust the pattern I already had to include the placket which worked out well and saved me a job!
Originally I wanted pink buttons to match the butterflies but I couldn't find the correct colour anywhere. After some fabulous advice on Instagram (got to love the sewing community). I went for black in the end. The buttons I used were actually saved from an old RTW French connection jumper. I love how the black accentuates the Siamese cats' faces and tails.
I followed Tilly's instructions and the construction of the skirt itself was straightforward. I had a little trouble with some gaping between the first and second button so I added a popper between them which seems to have stopped the problem. I'm not sure if this is because the fabric is medium weight. All in all, I'm definitely happy with it...and Susie seems to approve too!
Happy stitching x

2 comments:

  1. Purrrfect (sorry but had to) skirt, such a great idea to use this pattern, I have the book so might try it over the summer. I think the buttons look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should make it Lynsey. Love the pun, it definitely should have been the title of the post!

      Delete