Friday, 13 January 2017

Tulle Dream

I rather quietly began making this. The reason for my silence is that my previous attempts at sewing tulle have resulted in catastrophic failures. I had a niggling feeling that this may also be one but luckily for me I'd completely in love with it.

During Christmas shopping I noticed a few tulle dresses in the shops which I thought I'd have a go at recreating. I decided to use the Merchant and Mills Camber top for the bodice as I wanted a top without any fixtures to negotiate. The skirt was merely a rectangle which was gathered onto the bodice with the gather attached on the outside.

I love how iridescent it kind of reminds me of a jellyfish! The neckline is finished with navy bias binding to give it a nice finish. The beauty of tulle is that it doesn't fray. So yay, no need to finish the seams or to create a hem (sigh, definitely my least favourite part of sewing).

Of course being rather see-through meant that I needed to make a slip dress to wear underneath. After some brain wreaking I remembered that I had a pattern in the Great British Sewing Bee book. I omitted the lace (I thought this would be too fussy for the dress) and instead finished the edges with bias binding which worked out fine.

Here she is altogether...
Although the dress may seem rather formal. I managed to get away with wearing it on Christmas eve with a large hand knitted jumper and a pair of boots. Thank goodness for the eclectic look!

Happy stitching x

No comments:

Post a Comment